Learn How to Build Your Website for Free
In 2023, you can build your website for free and fully customise it with a powerful CMS called WordPress. In this article, we will show you how to build a website with WordPress and free open-source WordPress Theme and Plugins.
What Do You Need Before Building Your Website?
In order to build a fully functional website, you will need a domain and web hosting. With a domain and web hosting plan, you can create any website from a simple static 5-page website to a powerful e-commerce website without restriction.
If you do not have a domain or hosting plan yet, you can create a free account and get it here:
In this tutorial, we will use Starter Linux Hosting with cPanel (30GB) to build the website.
Step by Step Guide to Build Your Free Website
1. Link Your Domain to Your Web Hosting Plan
1) Under “All Products and Services”, click “Manage” button under “Web Hosting” tab.
2) Now at the dashboard, click “Add Website” button and key in your domain name without “www”.
3) After clicking “Add Website”, you will see your domain in the list with “Install Application” option.
4) Click “Install Application” button and you will be redirected to your cPanel page.
5) Scroll down to click “WordPress” icon followed by “install this application” button.
6) Select your domain and empty the “Directory (Optional)” field. In this case, you will build your WordPress application at /public_html folder.
7) Create your WordPress username and password. For email, you can use your personal email. Click “Install” button once you have filled in the details.
8) Browse yourdomain.com/wp-admin and key in your username and password to log in.
2. Install WordPress Theme
1) At your WordPress dashboard, click “Theme” and click “Add New”. Upload below theme zipped files.
2) Install the Theme Framework first and activate. Then, install Theme Sample and activate. You will see the sample packs in “Black and White” and “Color”. Install either one.
3) You will see a list of sample demo pages created under the “Page” section. You can start editing them in WordPress editor.